Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Places We've Lived Map

I love revamping something old to make something new.  Old, weathered barn wood is one of my favorite materials to make interesting pieces for around the house!  I used old barn slats to make a US map for my living room. 


Here are the wood slats in all their rough and weathered glory.


We took the slats and cut them so they were all close to the same length without being perfect.  I made sure not to cut off some of the broken ends.  I think they add character!  Then I arranged them on the driveway, alternating the rough ends.


I cut two boards to size to hold the whole thing together.


I carefully slipped the support boards under the slats and then used old nails found in the garage to nail the boards in place.



I used a projector and chalk to outline the United States centered on the boards.


I chose Minwax stain in ebony to create a nice contrast.  Before staining I scored my chalk line with a razor to prevent the stain from running.  The old wood soaked the stain right up.


With acrylic craft paint I painted a red heart where we call home.  Then I used silver paint to mark all of the cities we've lived in.  The silver marks look so much like nail heads that I'll probably go back and paint over them with another color.

Barn Wood Map
And here it is hanging in my living room!  I'm so happy with how it looks!


I have a couple boards left and a fun idea for them!  Check back later to see what else I have up my sleeve!

No comments:

Post a Comment