Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Amanda the Copycat

Hello F&F! Long time no post!

Well I'm just getting settled and back to crafting after a long hiatus. My husband and I recently made a 500+ mile move from Oklahoma to Iowa, and as anyone who has ever moved understands, it takes a while to get back on your feet! The new house is clean, the boxes are unpacked, my craft area is set up ... now I can breathe!

So this past weekend I decided to try my hand at Katie's Jewelry Organizer project! I have the perfect spot for one in my new bedroom. So I headed to Hobby Lobby, but alas, they didn't have any shadow boxes on clearance. So, I picked up a frame instead and my wheels started turning ...



I was going to need a piece of plywood (I had to beg the husband to cut it for me), some batting, some black velvet, and some cute little knobs, all of which I could get at Hobby Lobby. Except the plywood - for that I went to Menards.

So, Jon cut the plywood and drilled four holes in it for me. Then I put a layer of batting on the front of it and wrapped it with velvet, securing it with staples.

I pushed the screws up through the holes from the back and snipped the fabric a bit so they could sneak through. Then I twisted on the knobs (with a little help!). Oh yeah, I hadn't thought about how the plywood would STAY in the frame, so back I went to Hobby Lobby where I purchased some "turnbuttons" from the framing ladies.


Ok, so once that was done, I was ready to hang it on the wall, right?! Wrong. Jon had to add some little eye hooks and a wire to make it wall-ready. Did I mention my husband was a huge help during this project?!?! I really didn't mean for it to become so involved ... it just snowballed out of control!


NOW it was ready for the wall! Yay! So I hung it and took a bunch of pictures. Here's one:


Then I realized it would make more sense to photograph it WITH JEWELRY. Duh, Amanda. So here is the final product, hung and doing it's job:


I really love the way it turned out, but it was a lot of work, especially for Jon! So, if I had to do it over again, I would rethink my strategy. And hang the knobs a little closer to the top. Craft and learn!

Hmmm ... what will my next project be?

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment