Saturday, February 26, 2011

Sweet on Volunteers

Every year we have a volunteer appreciation luncheon at school.  This year the theme was "We are sweet on Volunteers."  All of the teachers chip in for door prizes for the volunteers that come.  I knew I was going to make a cookie bouquet to go with the theme.  Who doesn't like cookies?  But as I was wandering through Hobby Lobby looking for a cute basket or tray to put them in I saw very cool chalkboard flowerpots.  However, they were $20 for a small pot.  I'm cheap.  So I got a can of chalkboard spray paint and a $3 pot instead.


I took the pot into the garage and gave it two coats of paint, allowing time to dry in between coats.  As the paint dried I got busy making sugar cookie dough and marshmallow fondant.  I used the same cookie cutters on the cookies and fondant.  The cookies rose just enough to make them the perfect fit.  I also tried to put the fondant cut-outs on the cookies while they were still hot.  OK, so I didn't really know what I was doing but it all came together alright!  This was my third time ever making marshmallow fondant.  I had forgotten what a challenge it can be!


After the cookies cooled I used decorating gel to decorate.  I chose this gel because I'm lazy and didn't want to get out all of my icing bags and tips.  And I didn't want to make icing.  Or clean it up.  Plus, the little gel tubes are super easy to use.  Rookie mistake!  Gel doesn't harden all the way.


The final product turned out alright!  I stuffed some crumpled up paper under the cookies, but the weight of the cookies was enough that you couldn't see too many of them anyway.  I spread out the decorated cookies on the top to keep the gel from getting smashed.  It was a hit and one lucky volunteer was thrilled to get cookies!


How do you show your appreciation?


No comments:

Post a Comment