Thursday, December 27, 2012

Trees Don't Wear Skirts!

"Tree's don't wear skirts!"  At least that's what my three year old daughter told me when she asked what I was working on a few weeks ago.  I was covered in hot glue and burlap fuzz constructing a new skirt for our Christmas tree.

My inspiration came from Pinterest.  I was browsing one day and saw this pin.  



I followed the directions at Done Over Decor.  I hadn't planned for mine to look so Minnie Mouse like, but we're all big fans of Disney so I'm OK with it.


Ruffle Burlap Tree Skirt 1

I also hadn't planned on a furry new addition to the family.  Let me tell you, raw burlap edges and a young puppy aren't a good combination!  I've had to chase the puppy away many times and I'm forever picking up stray threads.


Ruffle Burlap Tree Skirt 2

From this angle you can see the black felt base under my ruffles.  I used a large piece of black felt cut into a circle with a hole in the middle.  I think I found directions for making the base on Google.  I made mine fairly small since our trees are usually skinny.  I used hot glue to attach the fabric strips. By the way, hot glue and burlap are a horrible combination.  The glue oozed right through the burlap sticking to and burning all my poor fingers.  But regardless, the end product was worth the temporary discomfort.


Ruffle Burlap Tree Skirt 3

This is our tree.  Its a cedar my husband cut down.  Cedars are not good for the Oklahoma prairie so we have cut one down every Christmas for the past 5 years.  They aren't the prettiest trees but my husband is proud of his efforts to help the Oklahoma environment.  You can read more about cedars on the Pioneer Woman's blog.  


Ruffle Burlap Tree Skirt on Cedar Christmas Tree

Usually there is a recliner living in this corner of the house, hence the pictures hung high on the wall.  The United States map is another project I hope to share soon.

Here is our new puppy, Bruiser.  He is a white faced Boston Terrier.


Boston Terrier

I got a new DSLR camera for Christmas and Bruiser has been my test subject as I practice shooting in manual mode.


Boston Terrier Bokah

I hope you had a Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment