I've been busy getting Little Brother's room ready. Tonight I sewed a new cover for the changing table pad. We have some very nice pink covers from Pottery Barn Kids. I looked to them as a starting point, but altered my pattern to make the project easier. My cover is made from one large piece of fabric. I used no-pill fleece from Hancock Fabrics. My changing pad is a standard contour pad bought at Target about five years ago.
I started by cutting out my fabric.
I sewed together the cutout edges, right sides together. (Working at night my lighting isn't the best so the color is a little off!)
Then I folded and pinned a generous hem of 1.5 inches. This is so the elastic will fit inside the hem.
When I stitched the edges I left the sides open (between the pink pins) to insert the elastic.
My stitches were an inch from the edge to leave room for the elastic.
I used two elastic bands, each 22 inches long.
I pinned one end of the elastic and threaded it through the hem.
Then I stitched both ends down. Last, I closed the open hem.
|Changing Table Pad Cover Tutorial|
|Changing Table Pad Cover|
This project was very easy and took about an hour total. I hope to whip out a few more covers this week!